Facilities & Location
The Tours Desk
We’re a tour booking agency here at the AQ Hostel. On your arrival, our lovely staff can help you choose and book any number of different adventure activities in and around Queenstown. We have a lot of experience in booking packages for our guests and recommend that you do not book activities in advance as weather can prevent some activities from happening.
Queesntown is very well set up for the tours/activities market. Whether you book through us, the information tour centres or direct with the tour operator, it’s always the same price. This means we don’t have to work to convince you to book with us and you don’t have to shop around! Plus you get our unbiased advice!
We like to ensure the best experiences for our guests. It is rare that any activity cannot be booked with 24 hours’ notice and certainly 48 hours ahead – most can be booked the same day and many others the day before. If you do have a very limited time for your stay, we can book your activity for you prior to arrival. Simply email us which activities on which dates.
These activities are heavily weather-dependent: skydiving, paragliding, canyoning, white-water rafting and Nevis Bungy.
Our Nightly Activities
Sunday: Roast dinner - for just $9 it’s better than your Mum’s! Just don’t tell her!
Monday: Movie night in the lounge with a latest release!
Tuesday: ‘Quiz Master Col’ hosts a trivia night in the dining room…
Wednesday: Come chill out in our dining room and meet new people.
Thursday: The Infamous AQ Scavenger Hunt will get you out of your comfort zone and running around town.
Friday/Saturday: Get out and explore Queenstown’s many bars and night spots!
New, modern and planned for your comfort, from the beds and bathrooms to the kitchen and common areas, you will be impressed during your time with us. In our home you will find:
- A spacious lounge room complete with an intimate fireplace, SKY TV, PS4, Wii and Netflix.
- The best balcony spaces in town (we have two), which are great for enjoying a drink in the sun.
- Shared rooms that contain quality solid timber bunks with comfortable mattresses.
- Every room has a heat pump/air conditioner to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer.
- High-quality and modern, our bathrooms and ensuites are fully tiled, with great water pressure!
- Fully equipped modern kitchen complete with every cook’s need.
- High speed fibre optic Wireless internet throughout the entire hostel.
- Separate storage/locker room – each locker with its own power socket so you can charge your phone securely.
- Dining room which looks over the top of town toward the lake.
- Secure bicycle, ski and snowboard storage.
- There are many other surprises you will find … come and find out!
The Free Stuff
We offer a number of free items to make your stay a little more welcoming:
- Unlimited internet
- Coffee and tea all day
- Phone calls to 55 different countries (yes, really free)
- Secure lockers
- Fresh linen and towels
- Luggage storage
- Limited amount of printing and faxing
- Friendly and helpful service from our staff
We can also loan a number of things to make your stay a little more enjoyable:
- Hair straighteners
- Frisbees (for the nearby Frisbee golf course!)
- Power adapters
- iPod chargers
The Guest Services
Available for a small cost to make your stay a little more exciting and enjoyable:
- Laundry – which we do for you!
- Small selection of ski and snowboard equipment
- Snacks and drinks
We also have a number of useful items for sale that are always helpful; ask our staff when you arrive.
In winter, ski lift passes are easy to arrange on arrival. In fact the NZ Ski office is just 50 metres away! We also have a limited amount of ski and snowboard equipment for rent – just send us an email enquiry.
Unbeatable! We are, in fact, the most central accommodation of any kind in town. Located in the heart of Camp Street, you’re a one-minute walk to everything: Lake Wakatipu, restaurants, bars, banks, shops, parks, bus stops, post office, Queenstown Mall, a small supermarket and more!
If you are arriving via the airport, take the No. 11 bus from right outside the terminal to the O’Connell’s Mall stop on Camp Street. From there, walk 30 metres in the same direction the bus is facing and you are at our front door. The bus departs every 15 minutes, takes 15 minutes and costs just NZ$12.
If you arrive by car, due to our central location we do not have on-site parking. You will find that there is not a great deal of parking in the town centre, however we do have a 10-minute parking bay outside the hostel which will allow you to drop off your bags and check in. We will then be able to direct you to a couple of free parking spots both within a two- to three-minute walk from the hostel.
Arriving by bus? The Intercity Bus and the Naked Bus both stop on Athol Street which is just 30m from our front door. Simply walk in the same direction the bus is facing, and we’re on the left.